Monday 7 March 2011

Society helped to fire Galliano

John Galliano’s anti-Semitic statements and the consequences has been the hottest news in the fashion world the last few days. The whole industry is talking about it and questioning whether House of Dior’s decision to let the designer go was too extreme and unnecessary.
The controversy began after Galliano allegedly insulted Geraldine Bloch and Philippe Virgitti at a Paris bar called La Perle, last Thursday (24 of February).  Later that week things heated up when a video emerged showing Galliano abusing two other women at the same bar in December.

House of Dior’s first decision was to suspend the designer. On the 2nd of March John Galliano, officially broke his silence and released a statement about the events. He claimed ‘I was subjected to verbal harassment and an unprovoked assault when an individual tried to hit me with a chair having taken a violent exception to my look and my clothing. For these reasons I have commenced proceedings for defamation and the threats made against me.’ He adds ’I only have myself to blame and I know that I must face up to my own failures and that I must work hard to gain people's understanding and compassion.’

Obviously, there are no doubts that the designer’s behaviour was inappropriate, noteworthy and deserved certain action, but the question is ‘Was firing him from Dior too high a price?’
It appears that a fourth party has become involved in the matter. So far we have heard from the designer, the victims of the abuse and House of Dior. Suddenly Natalie Portman, who is the face of Christian Dior's Miss Dior Cherie fragrance, has issued a statement condemning the actions of the brand’s creative director.

She said: ‘I am deeply shocked and disgusted by the video of John Galliano's comments that surfaced today. In light of this video, and as an individual who is proud to be Jewish, I will not be associated with Mr. Galliano in any way.’ 

Hours later a further twist took place and John Galliano was officially fired from Dior. Is there coincidence? Has the red card been handed to Galliano by Natalie Portman?

From a Public Relations point of view, it makes me wonder, how much has our celebrity culture had an influence on great designers losing his job in one of the greatest fashion houses? If the statement had been made by one of Dior’s models the outcome might have been different. By letting Galliano stay after a famous Oscar winning actress claimed that she doesn’t want to be associated with a brand that is linked to a designer accused of racism, Dior could have risked losing Portman’s celebrity backing, as well as a number of fans associated with her. Of course, John Galliano has a group of fans too, that will probably never buy Dior’s perfumes again, but the movie star brings much more interest and attention to the brand. 

What I have witnessed here in my opinion  is a designer who has behaved in an appalling manner, but has been let go because the world has gone celebrity crazy.
 
John Galliano and Natalie Portman


Text: Joanna Gorska



No comments:

Post a Comment