Sunday 8 May 2011

Rise of Asian models

In the new Vogue I read a report about the growing popularity of Asian models in the world of fashion. The Asian beauty is slowly starting to be appreciated in the global fashion industry after many years of waiting. I found this report very interesting, because even though I have watched fashion shows and read fashion magazines regularly it has never struck me that there are very few Asian looking models. Lisa Movius described Li Ai’s story of how she has tried to break onto the international fashion stage for years and every time she has heard ‘We don’t want an Asian’. Thank god that this is changing and we can observe the shift of Asian models to the middle of the stage. My favourite Asian model at the moment is Liu Wen. She has dramatic cheekbones, which makes her stand out from the crowd. I am not the first person admiring her look.  In the autumn/winter 11’ season 18 houses choose her to represent their collection on their catwalk show. Here you have a few pictures of Asian models, hope you will like it.
Liu Wen

Liu Wen for the Maison Martin Margiela 2010

Liu Wen for Vogue China


No comments:

Post a Comment